Imagine a deck of cards shuffling before you.. Each card represents an idea, a challenge or circumstance, a style, a certain way of thinking, mannerisms, determination and doubt, some narrative that repeats, lessons you have learned and pass to others, the stories you tell. This is your hand. In essence, this is your life. Every day, if you try, is a day to draw another card into your hand. You have the chance for endless combinations. How will these new cards interact with what you are already holding and like all good card games, you get to discard.
The chakras is a story of becoming – the building of a perfect hand. Or a tale of waking Kundalini : aka moving her through 7 energetic centers.
Kundalini, represented by a snake, is the spiritual energy which lies dormant in all of us. Practitioners of Kundalini Yoga emphasize that Meditation, Pranayama, Kriyas and Asana are a means to cultivate this energy and transform it into Divine Consciousness.
Why would a snake represent consciousness?
Because a snake can literally shed its skin and re-create itself. This animal embodies the ultimate design of renewal: releasing that which blocks growth. It seems so obvious now that it would be a snake, right? Duh.
1. Okay, so this snake, aka our unconsciousness as she has not woken just yet. (The things we have no idea about- past lives shit- cruel karmic stuff) is located in MULADHARA. (the 1st or Root Chakra). Root as in the lowest spot if we are seated. It is the stuff we think we need, the source of our greed and impatience. Wait, why is our unconscious resting in our anus? Who put it there? Why would the constant burning yearning desire for for things like food and shelter be sitting in my ass, perhaps making me act like an asshole? Hmmm…
2. The subconscious (the things we feel, but really don’t understand- aka memories and trauma) is caught up in SWADISTHANA (the 2nd or Sacral Chakra.) So, all of our feel good- ice cream truck song memories- as well as the really fucked up shit we’ve been through is bottled up in our genitals. That’s right our subconscious feelings, every last emotion, all of our water-like qualities are in touch with our reproductive hormones. Whaaat? My trauma is connected to my baby-maker? FUCK. To boot, this is a circular chakra with, as you guessed it, cyclical movement, the habits and routines- some are totally crazy and others mundane. Our apathy and indifference, our uproar and mania, that mistake we can’t stop making is all here in our sexuality. The things we just accept, the “Fair-Enoughs” of the world. If we never move Kundalini past this point, we run the risk of experiencing a life that can’t get deeper than the surface or learn from a mistake. Do you want all the beauty of this world and all of your transformative power to be out of reach? Probably not.
3. Kundalini is kind of awake in MANIPURA (the 3rd or Solar Plexus Chakra.) She’s tossing and turning pulling the covers off, exposing her position now in the belly-button. From the gut of your experience, consciousness is preparing, stretching, and beginning to rise. Do you think critically about the shit you’re going through or are you a zombie? Whatever you do, don’t go full zombie. This is the place of your instinctual sensation. Any last one of us can slip into old habits if we’re not careful to avoid blind reaction, if we’re not diligent to take a moment and be conscious. At this point, we are slowly advancing, generating the willpower to make the day and life as we want it, but are we strong enough? Do we have the confidence or would we rather just stay sleeping? How lazy are you? Did you just hit snooze three times? Really? Three times. Also, didn’t you say you weren’t going to drink last night? Don’t be pathetic. But we’re not pathetic. We know we have to wake up. We know what the day will bring. We’ve made our lists- We’ve got our flippy-floppys! You are adjusting to the light and with a squint you and Kundalini have accepted the duty as consciousness. We acknowledge what we are and what we’re not and that it takes all kinds, but above all else, to thine own self be true.
4. Finally, Kundalini becomes animated in ANAHATA (the 4th or Heart chakra) and we are upright. Extending in all directions, you open your chest to roll out the neck and shoulders. She unfolds to the beat of your heart and you too are filled with an expansive feeling of happiness and love. She moves in contractions which if you’ve seen any birthing scene, has intense pain followed by incredible relief and clearing. Often when finding compassion with others, we have to first start with ourselves. It is no mistake that flight attendants tell us to first secure our own mask before assisting others. In order to find your rhythm you have to get out of your own way. Dancing does not to begin with thinking, instead you have to be light on your toes and lightly pervade everything. Here your consciousness is a sense of peace and grace, and by grace I mean you care and respect for all living things. All things? Ahimsa? Yes, even that guy. You’re limited by nothing, not even that guy…. Do you see how once you elevate yourself, you become untouchable? Oxygenated blood flows in abundance circulating and vitalizing the entire system with compassion and creativity and with each breath cycle you magnetize more energy to move or dance. 😉
5. What would creativity and compassion be if it wasn’t shouted into the world and communicated directly to the hearts of everyone sharing this experience. Kundalini uses our throats in VISSHUDI (the 5th or Throat chakra) to give sound to our thoughts. The beat from our heart turns into song here. The vibration of our vocal chords purifies thoughts and we become compelling. Say whaaat? If and only if we have tapped into our truth, understood the art of silence, and acknowledged the connection to everything around us. If and only if, I learn to take pleasure in vulnerability and communicate in every experience with the intention of making it a spiritual one, will I find my voice. And, when we do we can literally bring people together and create reality. And like Kundalini, we become magical, matching our outsides with our insides. Nothing stands in your way, as you are part of everything, having embodied all the elements, and can will every thing into cooperation. Boom!
6. Wholly complete, the consciousness gazes out onto the horizon from AJNA (The 6th or Third Eye Chakra.) Maybe it’s not a horizon, maybe it’s a planetary view, or the eyes of a dog or maybe its a horrific scary scene, your worst nightmare in fact, things you don’t want to know, can’t handle or aren’t ready for. One simply can’t predict Third Eye visions but active listening is required for good communication, and active living is required for contentment. You must be part of the process particularly if you seek enlightenment. You must be your own GuRu – Out of the Darkness and into the light. Without effort from you, Kundalini will stay coiled until you’re ready to explore AND utilize your spiritual energy. You have to apply wisdom and Viveka, the discernment of reality from unreality. Our two physical eyes see the past and the present, while the Third Eye reveals the future. And together, it is God. It is the God in you. It is waking the God that has been in you and opening his or her eye in the middle of your eyebrows. You were born with it right there all along and never even knew.
WAIT… Hold the fuck on! A snake, named Kundalini, that happens to be resting in my ass will eventually wake up, move through my sexuality, my instinct, my heart, give my my voice and then take me to meet God through the visions of my Third Eye – the connection to the Divine Consciousness? And I have to make sense out of all of it? I have to be the one to say what is real and what is not? Yes. Fuck. The body will function of course without cultivating this awareness BUT you will inevitably remain unconscious. (FULL ZOMBIE)
7. Kundalini is calmly smelling the air around her as she is erect at SAHASRARA (The 7th and Crown Charka) This is it. That bridge is finally complete. Construction is over. The last piece of the puzzle has been pressed down and smoothed over. Your connection to the future has been finalized, well not even, it’s the future past and present in one experience. Time slows down and you become aware of how everything is completely interwoven, now that time can’t play tricks on your experience. It is all one. You are living and trusting, trusting because you are alive and alive because you have faith that this life is exactly what it is supposed to be. This is living meditation. This is Bliss.